Pages

Friday 31 October 2008

Bland and Dross

I've been away for a few days this week, and have been amazed at the Jonathan Ross/ Russell Brand incident, in both the sheer grossness of the comments made and broadcast by them and the BBC, and in turn the number of those who have spoken out in favour or defence of them.

So much has been said and written that I am sure that I can add very little to the debate. The subject of this blog revolves around engagement with the culture. However, there are clearly many times and occassions when 'engagement' needs to be understood as 'seperation', 'opposition' and 'distance.'

A few months back when I started collecting podcasts to listen to on my ipod, I subscribed to Russell Brands' radio 2 podcast. I lasted about 2 weeks!!! I find Brand very funny at times, and I enjoy 'zany' comedy in the 'goons/Spike Milligan' style, but our society (at least parts of it) seem to relish, even wallow in, humour of the bassist kind. It has been some time since I watched Jonathan Ross on Friday Nights, and I have stopped following Big Brother and other elements of culture as I once did.

To engage does mean reading, watching, and experiencing many things that the culture I am part of enjoys. However, engagement is not the same as immersing myself in all the worst culture has to offer.

I dont belong to this world, but I have been sent into it. As Larry Norman sang "This world is not my home - I'm just passing through..."

No comments: