Pages

Saturday 11 October 2008

Politicians and "Back to Basics."

For a few years now I have been a governor on a variety of local schools.

Yesterday I sat in the office of a Head Teacher meeting a prospective candidate for the next parliamentary election. Most of the conversation was around schools, education, money and local politics.

At one point though, the subject veered towards the issue of politicians pronouncements on family morality. Although I had contributed to the discussion up to this point, I felt the carpet being gently, but firmly yanked from under my feet. Both Head and Politician were in agreement that any kind of commited relationship, or settled single parent family was better than a bad married environment. Lesbian couples were bringing up happy, stable kids, and married couples were allowing sexual abuse under their roofs.

What would you have said?

I muttered something about how it was possible to hold a particular moral position, and at the same time be even handed and not discriminate in our relationships with people. The church was right to uphold a clear position on marriage. Poor churches were those that either fudged their stance on the morality of marriage or discriminated against people because of it. I shared my heart as gently as I could. The politician (who over the last year I have come to view as a friend), smiled - "I know where you stand Martin, and you're OK with me!" he laughed.

I know, I can hear someone mumble "It's not about keeping friends - it's about maintaining truth and righteousness." After all, John the Baptist lost his head, but kept his integrity. I am sure there are times, and will be many more to come, when we will part company with people over the truth.

But didn't Jesus come to us full of Grace and truth? Didn't he say to the woman caught in adultery "neither do I condemn you!"? When the woman at the well confessed her history to him, did he say "You harlot!"? No! Gently, full of Grace, he allowed the truth to do its own work.

Surely our job is to uphold the truth in our words and deeds, and at the same time, love people in such a way, that the conviction that comes is from the Holy Spirit, and not the shame or anger invoked by our self-righteousness.

Full of grace and truth....

No comments: